Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The hardest part of science writing for me is... *drum roll*... science writing


I always loved writing, well, creative writing, not essays and such, because I love telling stories, true or fabricated. I could talk or write for millennia. Some essays can be daunting, but they usually fall into place when I plan them out well. But on the other end of the writing spectrum, lies our very best friend, science writing.

I really enjoy recounting experiences by word of mouth or in writing; it's almost like I'm reliving them. So in order to enable my listener or reader to fully grasp the entirety of the event, I would be as detailed as possible. I'm very much like Charlotte Bronte in Jane Eyre when it comes to telling stories. Jane Eyre's story could have been told in a third of the number of pages it took. I am not throwing any shade at the book, I loved it, it's one of my favourite stories. But within all of this lies my biggest problem with science writing: condensation.

Good science writing involves relaying information in the most concise manner that includes all of the necessary and important details.


Concision and I have never been friends.

But after having read a couple of papers for my summer REU project, and having had to read and give a presentation on a science article, I'm glad and grateful that scientists do not write the way I did. It was rather difficult learning how to pick the important information to include in my methods section or other parts of my paper, but after a few rounds of doing that, I feel like concision and I are starting to get along. I'm glad we get the opportunity to learn what we have about science writing, and I know it will be more than useful now and in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment