Saturday, May 14, 2016

Money on my mind...

Of all the times I have been asked to come up with the kookiest, craziest, most ambitious research project I could think of, I've never before had the task of constructing it into a grant proposal. In Module 3, we were asked to go beyond the bounds of our imagination, while maintaining a real-world-applicable structure. With time and resource constraints to be considered, the kookiest science I could come up with became a lot more real.

Because now we're training to be real live biological engineers. And it's not just the money that was on my mind. Going through 20.109, especially focussing on the grant proposal in Module 3, has taught me that research is more than just what happens in the lab. There is no lab fairy to magically replenish our supplies, and no matter the outcome of the project, our science must have relevance to the wider scientific (and human!) community. The world informs our science, and our science informs the world. And no matter where I go, or what I do, the lesson of this consideration will remain with me throughout my biological engineering life.

No comments:

Post a Comment